News, Recipes & Workouts
Slimming Supermarket Secrets
Flat abs are really made in the supermarket! Supermarkets sell over 50,000 items, yet studies show that if you have more than 100 items in your refrigerator and cabinets combined, you’re guaranteed to have weight problems!
We all know that we should shop the perimeter of the store, but many of us are still sidetracked into the snack aisles to get our fix! It’s no wonder why we struggle to lose weight, but it’s really as simple as buying only the foods that promote weight loss. Remember, you can’t eat it if you don’t buy it! Focus on the foods that are good for weight loss and shop only in those aisles.
Learn what aisles to shop in and what aisles to avoid if you’re trying to lose stubborn body fat.
Shop: Near-Zero Calorie Produce
Choose produce that creates a near-zero calorie flow. That means choosing foods that are so low in calories that you’ll be burning them while you eat them: shredded cabbage, celery, spinach, romaine and all lettuces. Any vegetable that’s leafy and green is good for weight loss. Not buying enough vegetables is the number-one mistake people make when shopping. Vegetables help keep us feeling full and it’s the answer to living lean, so buy at least a week’s worth of vegetables and fruits so you’re never without.
Keep in mind that you are supposed be eating at least 7 servings a day, and that’s 42 servings a week. Stock up and never underestimate the power of frozen veggies! They stay fresh and are always available when you need them.
Buy More: Romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, cabbage, celery, radishes, mushrooms, cauliflower and broccoli, frozen spinach, and green beans
Buy Less: Carrots, tomatoes, corn and peas
Shop: Metabolism-Boosting Proteins
Lean proteins are the key to boosting your metabolism! My rule is the lighter and whiter the protein, the better your weight loss will be because it’s very low in fat and calories. The top three proteins for weight loss are Whey protein (high quality only), white fish, and egg whites.
Check out fresh fish when it’s on sale and try flash frozen because it’s fresher; you can stock your freezer so you’re never without a clean-lean protein. Buy three times as much fish to poultry and you’ll lose weight faster! Poultry and other meat are higher in fat and calories and harder to digest, slowing weight loss.
Buy More: Complete whey protein, sole, scrod, cod, tilapia, barramundi and egg whites
Buy Less: Chicken, turkey breast, and stay away from red meat if you’re serious about losing weight – and that includes pork! It’s not the other white meat!
Avoid: Grains, Pasta, Bread and Cereals
Run – don’t walk – past these aisles! If you’re trying to lose stubborn body fat, it doesn’t matter how healthy the grain is. If you’re storing excess fat around your stomach, you don’t need more carbs! However, we all live in the real world and need snacks. If you need to crunch, go for popcorn!
Consider these foods dessert and you’ll send fat packing!
Buy More: Air-popped popcorn and Japanese Ak-mak crackers
Buy Less: Cereals, pasta, bread, crackers, rice, potatoes, and, yes, even quinoa and couscous are fat-storing carbs!
Avoid: Sugary Beverages
We are drinking ourselves fat! No one ever thinks about these types of empty calories and the dangerous substance is called sugar. We are now taking in 66 pounds of added sugar a year. Most of these excess sugar/empty calories come from not-so-obvious places, like our coffee from adding creamers and sugar. Agave and fat-free creamers count! A few other unsuspecting fat-belly culprits are fruit juice, even if it’s 100% fruit juice and vitamin-packed waters, coconut water and energy drinks! No matter how harmless they may seem, they are at the heart of our growing national obesity problem. If it’s not calorie-free water, it’s liquid calories!
Buy More: Zero-calorie, zero-sugar water, calorie-free green tea and coffee
Buy Less: Coffee creamers, juice, energy drinks, sports drinks, almond milk, and soy milk
By None: Alcohol because it stops fat loss dead in its tracks every time!
Avoid: The Health Halo AisleBelieve it or not, this aisle is responsible for more weight gain than the candy aisle. Most protein shakes and bars contain more sugar and fat than a bag of candy! The tricky part is that we think they are healthy because they came from the health food aisle. If you’re trying to lose weight and stubborn body fat, you should run past this aisle. There wasn’t one item in this aisle that could be used for health or weight loss because they are all loaded with calories. If it seems too good to be true it is! For example, you can’t buy a protein shake mix for $15.00 and expect that it is a high-quality supplement. It’s the quality that counts, so in the end, you wind up spending more, and you’ll most likely end up putting on more weight.
- Lisa Lynn
- Tags: appetite Belly Fat body fat calories Carbs cravings Metabolism sparkling water Waistline Weight Loss
Foods that Burn Fat - A Metabolic Fast for Fat Loss
Are you struggling to lose weight and wish you could shed those stubborn pounds? Do you feel fat and bloated even though you exercise and eat balanced meals? Do you experience cravings for carbs, sugar or junk food?
Your body is likely telling you that your blood sugar levels are high, which is why you can’t lose weight. This not only stops you from burning fat and losing weight, it is also very unhealthy!
A metabolic fast for fat loss is a good solution. What’s the difference between fasting and metabolic fasting to lose fat? Regular fasting slows down your metabolism and causes your blood sugar levels to rise due to the stress fasting places on your body. A metabolic fast provides your body with the nutrients it needs to stimulate your metabolism to push your body into fat-burning mode. Fasting incorrectly can do permanent damage to your metabolism, but metabolic fasting for fat loss is a healthy way to boost your metabolism, burn fat and shed pounds!
This metabolic fast will get your body into the fat-burning zone and reduce bloating while detoxifying your system. You may shed some weight in the first 24 hours, and continue to lose as long as you stay on track until you have reached your weight-loss goals. This is a great way to offset unhealthy eating days and force your body to melt fat!
Metabolic Boosting Steps
1. Be sure to drink plenty of water every day. Aim for 100 fl
2. Allow your body to feel hunger. It’s a sign that your body is burning fat!
3. Eat at least 5 servings or more of veggies per day; they will keep you feeling full and regular.
4. Drop all other supplements except what is suggested.
5. Eat foods from the approved list only. Use a food journal as a daily guide.
6. Perform daily cardiovascular exercise daily for 45-60 minutes to rev your metabolism. Do something that causes you to break a sweat, but refrain from over-exercising as this may contribute to overeating following your workout.
Eat More of These Fat-Burning Foods
- Whey protein
- High-protein, low-carb bars
- All white fish
- Small Green Apples (limit 2 per day)
- Clear broth (gluten- and soy-free)
- Sugar-free, fat-free gelatin
- Sugar-free, fat-free popsicles
- Hot chocolate made with 1 scoop of complete protein
- Half a high-protein, low-carb bar
- Pure water
- All teas, especially green tea
- Black coffee
Foods to Avoid
The following foods feed fat cells, so steer clear!
- Carbohydrates, with the exception of vegetables. Avoid bread, rice, pasta, cereal (including oatmeal), potatoes, beans and all crackers, cookies, and refined manufactured products.
- Liquid calories and juice, including homemade fresh juices, non-dairy creamers, skim milk, rice milk, soymilk and sports beverages, vitamin water, and especially alcohol!
- Fats, including healthy fats such as nuts, seeds, avocado, and oils until your body begins burning fat for fuel
- Dairy products, including all types of milk, yogurt and cheese (even if they are fat free)
- Lisa Lynn
- Tags: Carbs cravings exercise fat-burner lisa lynn Metabolism
Why More Exercise Won’t Help You Lose Weight
Why More Exercise Won’t Help You Lose Weight
By Lisa Lynn, Weight Loss Expert
Are you tired of trying every fad diet and exercise program on the market
just to see little or no results? Now, you may think the answer is even
more fitness, but I'm here to tell you you're wrong!
There is actually a true science to losing weight, and guess what? It
doesn't involve spending more time at the gym. The answer has to do with
what you're eating.
I wish someone had told me this a long time ago, because I used to work
out for three hours a day while eating a vegetarian diet (or macrobiotic
diet or raw foods diet - I tried those, too), and yet I still kept getting
Nevertheless, I kept thinking if I could only add one more hour to my
workout, then the weight would really come off at last. Turns out I was
My weight loss story goes like this: I lost 40 pounds and managed to keep
it off for twenty years despite having a serious thyroid problem. At
first, I used my thryoid as an excuse, thinking that my body just wasn't
meant to be thin.
Then I went to work educating myself about weight loss and discovered the
truth about it. You do have to eat "clean" and you do have to exercise,
but there is also a science to losing weight.
I call this science "living in the real world. I learned that you have to
be honest with yourself and you've got to know what your calorie and
weight numbers are and what you're eating, for real.
Weight Loss Success = 80% Food, 20% Exercise
Most of my clients are shocked to find out that eighty percent of weight
loss comes from changing your diet. Bottom line: if you are able to "eat
clean," the amount of exercise you'll need to do is minimal.
On the other hand, if you think 30 minutes of exercise will cancel out
that doughnut you just ate, you need to take another look. It's not even
close: the calories you consume stay with you much longer than that.
Common Eating Mistakes Leading to Weight Gain
Let's start with breakfast. One of the biggest mistakes I see is starting
your day with croissants, bagels or muffins. Every one of these is at
least 500 calories. Granola and orange juice are also high in sugar and
can pack on the pounds as a result.
Instead, I suggest people start their day with a LynFit protein shake. I
mix my shake with a little coffee - sort of a "Mocha Madness" shake - and
then I take my vitamins (LynFit Cutting Edge, LynFit Carb Edge and LynFit
Accelerator). This all makes me feel good, meaning I'm less likely to
crave high calorie foods instead.
Meal number two of the day is what I like to call your "metabolic boost."
Every time you eat this way, you are giving your metabolism a little jolt.
Eat a piece of fruit along with a LynFit protein bar. This has 10 grams of
fiber in it and all protein with almost no carbs.
The next meal is basically a snack that you can also call lunch. I
recommend a plate of steamed vegetables along with another protein shake.
A couple of hours later, you can have another snack. Many of you may be
tempted to have a cup of yogurt or a snack bar made with soy - both of
which are not good for weight loss. Once again, I recommend having a
protein shake instead, as it will boost your metabolism by 25%.
As we approach dinnertime, let's take a look at what we might have. You'll
notice there is no bread and no pasta. Instead, I recommend chicken and
broccoli, which is one of my favorites. And I'll put marinara sauce on
top, which makes it more delicious.
If you want to have a salad, you could use tuna or shrimp and a lot of
greens so that you get your vegetables in.
There's also a soup you could make, and the one I recommend has no starch,
just steamed vegetables and tomato soup broth, watered down and low
"Grab and Go" Smart Foods
Popcorn with no butter and salt is a great snack food. Low in calories and
lots of volume to fill you up.
Contrast this with eating a pint of regular ice cream, which is equal in
calories to almost everything else you've eaten today so far if you follow
the plan above. That's why you have to "know your calorie numbers," so
that you can eat smart.
The science of weight loss really isn't that hard, as long as you are
honest with yourself about what you are really eating.
Learn more about my metabolic boosting system on my website. Check out the
before and after photos of my clients! If you purchase LynnFIT fitness and
nutrition products, please use discount code BLOG2 as my way of saying
- Lisa Lynn
- Tags: lisa lynn Metabolism Nutrition Weight Loss
Boost Your Immunity to Boost Your Weight Loss
Lisa Lynn- Fitness Expert & Specialist in Weight Loss and Metabolic Disorders
My specialty is weight loss. One of the most important things I work on is BOOSTING my client’s immunity because if you’re sick, you can’t work out and every second we miss in the gym is worth three giant steps backward when it comes to boosting your metabolism and losing weight. Working out every day is essential if your metabolism is stuck and you’re trying to lose weight. However, workouts can also weaken your immune system. Staying healthy is top priority for life and to keep your workouts on track.
Here are FIVE things you can do to stay healthy and FIT!
1. Drink to avoid illness! Not alcohol, water! I know you have heard this a million times BUT DRINK lots of water! Drink ½ your body weight in ounces as a starting point. When we are sick, we need more water and hot tea w/lemon counts! EX: if you weigh 120 drink 60 ounces of water daily!
2. Have M & M everyday! Not candy BUT a medicinal mushroom also known as AHCC. AHCC (MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS) is the most researched specialty immune supplement in the world with more than 80 supporting research studies. It is also the leading alternative cancer treatment used throughout Asia. AHCC turns up the dial on your natural immune response to help you fight off a wide range of immune system threats (beyond the flu).
3. Sleep at least 7-8 hours each night! During sleep our body releases immune strengthening compounds and, without sleep, all of the stress hormones INCREASE causing us to gain fat around our midsection. Can’t sleep? Try 6 drops of Oxytocin before bed to help you fall asleep and stay asleep and it will block the stress hormones making you store excess fat around your midsection and you’ll feel happier!
4. Power up you’re your energy by getting adequate antioxidants! When taken in liquid form, antioxidants work fast and give you energy and they also neutralize the free radicals that make you sick. Vitamins A, C, and E as well as COQ10 and minerals like zinc are the power houses in the antioxidant family BUT be sure to get a high quality supplement and use it daily! I like DAILY POWER SHOT because it’s a yummy liquid colloidal multi vitamin mineral supplement that is of the highest quality and made in a pharmaceutical lab. It works fast to help you get to work when you’re not feeling well! * I give it to my kids when they don’t feel well to keep them healthy and in school!
5. Exercise at a lower intensity! Moderate exercise can boost your immunity and help you get better fast BUT if you exercise too hard, you will weaken your immunity. I suggest that my clients exercise at 50% of what they are capable of and this tip can keep you exercising for the rest of your life because we tend to be black or white when it comes to exercise. We either go all out or not at all and, to be honest, it’s the consistent and frequent workouts that get you in shape, NOT the most intense!
- Lisa Lynn
Raspberry Ketone: Fat Burner in a Bottle
Research has shown that raspberry ketone can help in your weight-loss efforts, especially when paired with regular exercise and a well-balanced diet of healthy and whole foods.
Raspberry ketone is the primary aroma compound of red raspberries. This compound regulates adiponectin, a protein used by the body to regulate metabolism. Raspberry ketone causes the fat within your cells to get broken up more effectively, helping your body burn fat faster. The recommended dose is 100mg per day. To get the same benefit from the whole fruit, you'd have to consume 90 pounds of raspberries.
- Lisa Lynn
- Tags: accelerator dr. oz fat-burner lisa lynn Raspberry ketones
The Martha Stewart Show: Toning Exercises with Lisa Lynn
The Martha Stewart Show, July 2008
(click the image to watch the segment)
3 Ways to Cut Calories Without Being Hungry
5 Rules for Losing Those Last 10 Stubborn Pounds
Losing those last five or 10 pounds can be downright impossible. The bottom line is … it is all about numbers! All you have to do is take your goal weight and multiply it by 10 – and that is the correct amount of calories that you should be taking in each day in order to reach your goal weight. The hard part is HOW do you decrease your calories without giving up even more?
- Lisa Lynn
- Tags: Carbs Diet Metabolism Nutrition Slimmer Waistline Weight Loss