RECIPE: Super Green Detox Smoothie
Juicing or drinking pre-made juices may seem healthy and be all the rage, but when it comes to losing weight and melting off stubborn belly fat, the very best nutrition juices can't hold a candle to this smoothie.
Why is juicing and pre-made juices so bad for your weight loss?
- Most pre-made commercial juices use apple juice because it's less expensive. Apple juice is a high-sugar, low-nutrient base and most of the apple's nutrition is from the skin, not the white pulp, where most of the juice is extracted from.
- Juicing and pre-made juices strip all the natural fiber out of produce. The fiber/ rough stuff is what makes it so nutritious and good for you.
- Juices lack protein (the good kind), and without protein, you're getting zero fat-burning and metabolism-boosting benefits, and way too much sugar, so your blood sugar spikes, which can trigger hunger and cravings, and stop weight loss.
If you're trying to lose weight and burn off stubborn belly fat, and you're craving clean and green to detox and reboot your taste buds after overindulging, you'll love this smoothie. Since it doesn’t contain kale or any other goitrogenic vegetables, it's hypothyroid-friendly and won’t slow weight loss.
Did you know that Romaine lettuce is one of the 10 most nutritious vegetables around, and higher in fiber than almost any other form of lettuce? And, because it's mostly water, it makes this smoothie a great hydration booster to quench thirst. Swap out thyroid-slowing kale for Romaine instead.
- (8 oz.) Filtered water
- (1 tsp.) Lemon juice
- (1 tsp.) Fresh parsley (or cilantro)
- (1 cup) Romaine lettuce or spring greens
- (½ tsp.) Ginger, grated
- (5) Ice cubes
Mix ingredients together and blend until desired consistency is reached. ENJOY!
- Lisa Lynn