From Amy - I've Lost Almost 30 Pounds On The LynFit Program!
Early 2012, I knew it was time to start eating better and exercising. I had been doing neither. At 31 and having had a baby about 3 years earlier, I could no longer use the excuse that it was too soon after the birth to get going.
I am a classic stress eater and just plain lover of food. I have always been 'big-boned', as my doctor had said (used as yet another excuse). But I knew that I was having a real problem when multiple people, in multiple places, began to ask me when I was expecting. Um, sorry to disappoint all, but that was my "food baby", not a real baby I was carrying!
I turned to Lisa Lynn and the LynFit Program because I had seen others achieve lasting results, particularly food lovers like myself. I tried one class and was immediately hooked! Since the metabolic boosting workouts Lisa utilizes were cardio challenging without me having to be so aerobically vibrant, I was very interested in staying with her program. Did I mention that I don't care to exercise? I really dislike bouncing around a room to get an aerobic workout. I'm not the most graceful gal and feel like a clod with that kind of workout. Additionally, Lisa says that with 30 minutes, 3 times a week, I can get and maintain weight loss results. Well, for this busy mom, that's something I can stick with, and have! Now I am sporting the results to show for it!
Having only taken one of Lisa's classes coupled with drinking her very affordable and very tasty Protein Shake (best one I've ever tried) twice a day, and eating more cleanly according to her food log found on her website, I saw a 5 pound weight loss in 1 week. It was incredible. I continue to lose weight gradually and steadily, while toning overall, on this same program, except now I'm working out 2 times a week at home with Lisa's video workouts, and 1 time a week with her in person. I also try and run 2-6 miles, 3-4 times a month with a good friend. I love it! Lisa's program is something this stay-at-home mom, working with a tight single income, can stick with, and continue to see results from!
After all is said and done, almost 1 year later, I have lost 26 pounds and my "food baby" is gone. I feel great and can keep up with my vivacious 3-year old - even set the pace for her too. I still am not done with my goals. I plan on losing 5-7 pounds more and doing some overall toning by increasing the weight I utilize in Lisa's workouts.
For those who may be wondering how my diet has changed since I started with LynFit, here's an example of a good day for me. You can see how you're able to still enjoy eating with the LynFit Lifestyle:
7am: (2) Gummi multi-vitamins (hope to replace this with the Power Shot when possible), Chocolate Protein Shake and black or green tea
10:30am: Apple (I don't like green apples so I have a Fuji apple instead) and 2-3 servings of raw celery or green beans
12:00pm: Carb Edge, 4oz. chicken or fish with 3 cups of greens or 2 cups Normandy-style veggies (Costco)
3pm: Chocolate Protein Shake or Toffee Lean Bar if I have them on hand
6pm: 4oz. chicken or fish with 3 cups of greens or 2 cups of Normandy-style veggies (Costco), or, 3 egg whites with 3-4 cups of sauteed spinach and 1/2 cup of corn
8pm: Decaf Bigelow French Vanilla Tea
One time a week I have frozen yogurt, and definitely more than 1/2 cup serving. Probably a 2 cup serving with sprinkles and a spoonful of chocolate chips.
Yes, I do have some really 'bad day' eating habits. Like adding a tablespoon of peanut butter with my morning apple snack, or I may make chocolate chip cookies or zucchini bread and eat 1-2 servings.
And here are a couple of great freebies: Sugarless gum (Dessert Delight Mint Chocolate Chip and Strawberry Shortcake), and Starbucks Iced Passion Tea Lemonade (no sugar added).
I'm so grateful that I can see the results, even with my 'bad days'. All the hard work is paying off. Without Lisa and her expertise, help, and products, it would not have been possible. Thanks Lisa!
FIVE WAYS TO FINE TUNE YOUR FAT LOSS
FIVE WAYS TO FINE
TUNE YOUR FAT LOSS
If you have been eating pretty healthy and faithfully going to the gym but you still see extra fat hanging around, you need to “Fine Tune” your diet to trick it into burning fat for fuel.
These five “small” things can make a bigger difference than you think. They are easy to fix and you really won’t miss them. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard “I removed the milk and sugar from my coffee and………I LOST FIVE POUNDS”! Let’s assume that you are already eating clean foods like chicken breast without the skin, butter isn’t even in your vocabulary and that you hardly ever eat red meat. Of course you are also going to the gym 6 days a week to do cardio for 45 minutes at a clip (this is a must for fat loss), and you lift weights 3-4 times per week. When these things just aren’t making your body burn fat then it is time to “Fine Tune” your diet to get your body to burn fat as fuel. After all, that is why we go to the gym right? Not if you are eating the wrong kinds of foods. If you are eating high fat-high sugar foods than all you are burning for fuel at the gym is your last meal if you are lucky. If you are eating correctly your body will burn off that extra body fat that you see staring back at you every time you look in the mirror.
Here are FIVE things that you can do to remove fat and calories from your diet so that you burn more fat at the gym.
1- Remove the yolks from your eggs and save 7 grams of fat per yolk. Keep in mind that you should be aiming for 20 grams of fat per day max so if you eat three eggs per day you are saving 21 grams of fat!
2- Drink your coffee or tea black without sugar. It’s ok to add a little equal or splenda but if you add 2 teaspoons of sugar w/2 tablespoons of cream you are consuming 105 calories, 6 grams of fat and 12 grams of carbs that come from sugar. So if you drink a light coffee on your way to the gym all you are burning is the coffee that you just drank. What a waste! Go for it black and you can lose 1 pound a month just eliminating 1 cup of light coffee per day.
3- Use fat free dressings. Always chose fat free dressings or vinegar and lemon juice for your salad. One tablespoon of oil has 120 calories of pure fat. Translation: You wont burn fat at the gym!
4- Remove cheese from your diet if you are really serious about losing fat. 1 ounce has 9 grams of fat and who eats 1 ounce? Crumbled feta is even higher in fat! It has a whopping 15 grams of fat per 2 ½ ounces so if you want to burn fat run away from cheese!
5- Take L-Carnitine. When all else fails and you need that little extra help getting your body to burn fat as fuel go for supplements that contain L-Carnitine. L-Carnitine is an amino acid found in red meat. Science has shown that L-Carnitine transports fat into the cells to be burned as fuel. It is safe and effective for long-term use. Who doesn’t want that extra edge?
EAT CLEAN TO BE LEAN!
The Right (and Wrong) Way to Choose Nutritional Supplements
Rule #1: Always do your homework.
Never buy a supplement on impulse. Here are some questions to help you make the right decision:
- Do I need it? Have you been diagnosed by a medical doctor with a condition which may be helped by this nutritional supplement?
- Is it going to hurt me? What are the potential side effects? Medication interactions?
- Is it safe enough to give to my children? I tell my clients that if it’s not safe for kids, it may not be all that safe for adults either.
- Is it high quality? Higher-quality supplement brands will have a consistent amount of the active ingredient. Lower-quality brands may have fillers and impurities that may not even be listed on the label.
Dr. Oz frequently talks about supplements that help to get rid of belly fat. By far, the biggest mistake people make is taking these supplements without addressing the problems in their diet.
If you have a bulging waistline, make sure you are eating as cleanly, purely and healthfully as possible. Try to balance your diet so that 80% of what you eat is healthy, leaving you with 20% for living and eating in the real world.
If you are eating like this and exercising regularly, that’s when properly used nutritional supplements can be almost magical. But first you need to work with your health-care professional to know what’s going on within your own body. Do you still have belly fat because your thyroid is low? Or, do you need help buffering insulin resistance? Choose the supplement that helps you deal with your specific issues. This leads me to rule number two.
Rule #2: Understand how a supplement works and what it may do for you.
To continue, if your doctor tells you that your insulin is too high, then research what supplements you can take in order to lower it safely. Remember that whatever gets us there will also keep us there. Make sure the supplement you choose is safe and that the ingredients are high quality and from a reputable source.
Also, remember that quick fixes are not sustainable. Avoid products that are too harsh, such as extreme cleanses for weight loss. Instead, take the time to lose weight in a healthy way. Consistency and frequency always get results.
Rule #3: Learn what to look for on supplement labels.
The highest quality brands might mention GMP, which stands for Good Manufacturing Practices. This tells you that there are production and testing practices in place to ensure such things as the consistency and purity of ingredients. Find out by searching the Internet which ingredients are supported by the most clinical research. Those are generally the brands that the experts believe are the most effective.
Low price is a red flag. If you are going to spend $4.99 on a supplement, you’ll get what you pay for. Bargain brands may not even have enough of the active ingredient, or the right form of the active ingredient, to do what you need them to do.
If you’re facing a shelf with dozens of similar-looking products, start by reading the label on the most expensive one. You may actually need to take less of a pricier supplement than a cheaper one, making the pricier one the best value.
Being smart about choosing the right nutritional supplements is also good for your budget because you won’t be wasting money on products that don’t work. That’s a benefit we can all appreciate!
5 Ways to Supercharge Your Metabolism
Keeping your metabolism supercharged is the answer to keeping the extra pounds from making it to your stomach, hips and thighs. If your metabolism is in high gear, it will burn the extra calories instead of storing them as fat.
I am NOT saying that you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight. In fact, the opposite is true: You need to eat and exercise a specific way to keep your metabolism supercharged.
There are a few tricks to getting your metabolism to speed up. Some will see and feel results overnight and some “slow burners” may take a week to see the correction. Don’t quit and stay strong!
Here are five things you can do to supercharge your metabolism:
Drink more water. Not drinking enough water can slow your metabolism down by 3%. How much should you drink? Divide your body weight in half and that is your number in ounces to aim for every day. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, you need to drink 60 ounces of water as a starting point.
Replace one to two meals with a protein shake. This will boost your metabolism by 25%! It will offset some bad eating days while supplying your body with the nutrition that it needs to stay healthy and burn fat. Look for a high-quality whey protein shake with low carbs and no fat, keeping calories under 160 per serving and protein at 25 grams.
Eat green! Eating greens will keep you fuller longer. Eating green vegetables makes your body burn more just to digest them – and if you don’t slather them with butter, you can actually burn more calories to digest them than they contain, so you end up with a caloric deficit! We all want that! Try green peppers, celery and broccoli, as well as all of the lettuces. Dip in salsa for lean eating – not creamy dips!
Fill up on fiber. Not eating enough fiber can kill your diet. Fiber keeps us feeling fuller longer. Aim for 30 grams per day. Try adding a serving of psyllium husk to your protein shake to keep you feeling full, plus it makes the shake thicker!
Workout smart! Long cardio sessions that are not too intense will burn more fat than working too hard. If you work too hard, you may not be able to work out long enough; just when your body is ready to start burning fat, you stop and so does the fat burning. Studies are also proving that when people work out too hard, they actually get hungrier and they went to eat more and not less – and that is the worst thing for fat loss!
Fat-Loss Tricks That Actually Work
No matter what type of diet or fitness program you choose, the fact of the matter is you still have to eat less calories than you burn off if you want to lose weight. The truth is you don’t even have to step foot into a gym to lose weight if you follow this rule. Now, trust me – I am not suggesting that you don’t exercise because exercise will keep the weight off. But, I am saying that even when life gets busy and you don’t get into the gym, you will still lose weight if your calories are on track.
You need to know these three numbers if you are serious about burning fat:
- Calories - Multiply your goal weight by 10 = Total calories per day (Example: Your goal weight is 120 pounds; 120 x 10 = 1200 calories per day)
- Carbohydrates need to be kept at 100 grams or less per day to lose weight and reduce body fat.
- Fat - Eat less than 20 grams per day to lose weight and body fat!
How do I do this you ask? Here are five easy ways to push your body into the fat-burning zone before you enter the gym!
- Replace your favorite breakfast with a clean whey protein shake; this will increase your metabolism 25% and keep it burning strong all day. Be sure your shake is under 160 calories, low carb and no fat! Look for 24 grams of protein max.
- Have a large tossed salad with 3 ounces of chicken breast or tuna fish for lunch. Your best bet is to have a shake and a salad (no animal protein) if you really want to lose fast!
- Instead of your favorite snack foods, have a piece of fruit instead to cleanse and detox your body.
- Swap the starch out at dinner for an additional vegetable. This is easier to do than you think! Go for grilled fish with a salad and vegetable – or better yet, have three vegetables!
- Try to eat between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. – not before or after. This is a very easy yet extremely effective way to get your body to burn stored fat for fuel.
Each one of these simple swaps can cause you to lose 1-2 pounds in the first week, the safe and healthy way. Try to follow this cleansing program for 1-2 weeks, depending on how much weight you need to lose. Many professional models and actresses follow this system Monday through Thursday to keep their weight in check and their bodies running clean and healthy! Don’t forget to do 60 minutes of cardio a day to get your fat-burning engines running in high gear!
Lose Pounds by Valentine's Day
If losing weight is one of your resolutions for 2012, then get ready for a new year and a new you with my Slimmer by Dinner Meal Plan. Following a plan actually makes our lives easier by removing temptations and hard decisions so you’re not thinking about food all day. Anyone can do this anywhere and anytime, and the best part is that it’s guaranteed to work even if you’re severely metabolic resistant or have thyroid problems.
In fact, this plan was created for people with hypothyroidism and have the hardest time losing weight. That means if you’re not hypothyroid, you will lose weight even more quickly. Expect to flatten out your stomach, tighten up jiggly areas, and lose inches – not just weight.
Are you ready to get started? Here are three things you will need to do to lose weight fast:
1. Prep your body to burn fat first thing in the morning and all day long by drinking a protein shake for breakfast, along with:
- 1 cup of black coffee
- At least 700mg of L-Carnitine if you need extra metabolic support
Repeat this for lunch as well for best results.
2. Have two snacks per day! A high-protein bar (must be low-fat and low-carb) and a green apple are snacks that cause weight loss, so don’t skip them! If you’re a frequent snacker, try splitting the protein bar into thirds or at least in half and use it as your “need-to-chew” food that will keep you on track!
3. Eat “green and beige” for dinner. While fish is always best, my favorite recipe when I’m trying to lose weight and I need comfort food is the Turkey Meatball and Salad Soup (which you can find on my website). Remember, any cold salad can be tossed into a pan and heated for a warm, yummy, filling dinner. All I do is add some garlic powder and 2 minutes later, my dinner is done and I feel full and satisfied!
Energy Drinks: 3 Natural Alternatives
What would you say if I told you that your energy drink contained a half-cup of sugar, excessive levels of caffeine, unidentified stimulants, red food dye and taurine, among other health-harming ingredients? Many of the most popular energy drinks contain ingredients you wouldn’t put in your car – so why would you put it in your body?
Energy drinks are supposed to provide mental and physical stimulation for a set amount of time and are mainly used during periods of strenuous physical activity and to quench thirst. Unfortunately, energy drinks do not hydrate the body and can actually cause dehydration. Energy drinks can also cause serious health problems, such as increased blood pressure, stomach problems, panic attacks, anxiety, and cardiac arrhythmias. They can even cause tooth erosion.
One of the major concerns of consuming these energy drinks when you’re tired is that it masks the symptoms of fatigue. When we do this, we push our bodies past what they are capable of doing and place dangerous strain on the heart muscle. Even drinking too much coffee can place this strain on our bodies and our hearts. Masking fatigue by using stimulants like energy drinks or drinking strong coffee makes us feel worse in the long run. When we crash, we feel even more tired and weaken our immune system, as well as stressing our adrenal system. Headaches, nausea, as well as severe irritability are a few of the symptoms that can be felt when coming off these types of drinks. This is what makes them highly addictive – the only way to feel better is to drink another one or take more supplements.
So, what should we do when we are tired and not feeling good? We need to step back and assess why we are so tired in the first place. The solution is in the problem! Most people are tired and lack energy due to poor sleep and/or because they aren’t getting enough of the right nutrients that make us feel good and keep our energy levels balanced all day.
3 Things You Can Do to Increase Your Energy
1. Get enough protein. Sixty percent of women do not get enough protein in their diets and that is often the number-one reason for fatigue! Reaching your body’s protein requirements is not easy and it’s a lot of work. Most of us need to consume 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. If you want to weigh 120 pounds, you need to consume 120 grams of protein per day from lean sources such as egg whites, fish, turkey and chicken breast, or non-fat cottage cheese. I suggest that all women drink a high-quality protein shake every day to satisfy their body’s nutrient requirements.
Protein shakes make your life easy. You don’t have to think, plan or cook – just drink and go! Be sure to look for a high-quality whey protein shake that is under 160 calories and has no fat, minimal carbs and under 5 grams of sugar. Make sure the whey protein you choose is geared for health and weight loss and NOT weight gain, so you can add it to oatmeal or make a delicious shake for breakfast.
I also recommend that the shake have at least 2000 mg of glutamine already added to it. Glutamine is an awesome brain booster that can help ease depression and keep you alert for hours without the crashes that come with energy drinks. I adore my chocolate whey drink every morning in a small cup with very little water; I eat it like fudge brownie batter – yet it’s virtually sugar-free, contains no fat, and is absolutely delicious! If I dont want it cold, I make it like “healthy hot chocolate” or add it to my oatmeal. I always struggle with meeting my protein requirements and having a whey protein shake makes reaching my daily numbers do-able because I can add it to my coffee or to baked goods, such as health muffins. Whey has also been known to decrease blood pressure and increase energy, strength, and also ease depression.
2. Sleep more. Plan your life around your sleep schedule to get as much sleep as possible. It’s as simple as planning your activities so that you are home in enough time to relax and get sleepy. There is nothing more powerful as a good night’s sleep! Getting enough rest is the very best way to slow aging and feel great! Aim for 7-8 hours each night and create a sleep pattern so you go to bed at the same time every day and wake up at the same time every day, even on your days off. It will be well worth it – I promise. This step is extra important for anyone who struggles with depression and anxiety. If all else fails and you can’t sleep well due to stress or hormonal changes, take 3 mg of melatonin 30 minutes before bedtime or six drops of oxytocin to ease anxiety and help you sleep deeper. All healing happens when we sleep, so make it your priority!
3. Drink water! We all need to consume a minimum of eight glasses of water daily to hydrate our bodies. If we are even a little dehydrated, our metabolism can slow down up to 3%! Fill a large water pitcher full of cold water, and add slices of lemons, limes or oranges to make it more appealing so you’ll drink more. Not only does it look great, but it’s less expensive than buying bottled water, which helps our Earth at the same time. Get out your favorite glass and leave the pitcher out in front of your face so you’re called to it everytime you walk by.
Taking care of your health is the best way to prevent fatigue so you never need to buy those garbage drinks again!
Holiday Eating: The Day-After Diet Plan
From Thanksgiving onward, do you feel like you have a food hangover from overeating? The average person gains 9-12 pounds from Halloween through New Year’s Day. If you’re not careful, you will not only gain weight but change your metabolism permanently. Once you damage your metabolism, it can change it in a way that is hard to reverse.
Boost your metabolism before the big-eating day. There are five things you can do to keep your metabolism charged so you don’t gain any extra weight this holiday season.
1. Wait 12 hours to eat. If you last ate at 9 p.m., wait until 9 a.m. to eat again. You need to give your body time to metabolize. Set an alarm to remind you when you can begin eating again the following day.
2. Have a whey protein shake for breakfast. Drinking this shake boosts metabolism by 25%. It’s also a good preventive measure if you drink a shake on the big-eating day to help burn things off faster. If you drink one before the big meal, it will keep you feeling full so you don’t overeat.
3. Take six drops of oxytocin. This is the feel-good hormone our bodies naturally produce when we aren’t stressed. A few drops under the tongue will de-stress you and block the release of cortisol that makes us store fat around our waist. When we’re stressed, we make poor food decisions. When relaxed, we think clearly and make smart food choices.
4. Take carb-blocking supplements 30-minutes before your meal. Studies prove that taking supplements that contain white kidney bean extract or raspberry ketones will stop your body from absorbing the carbs and fats from your meal.
5. Exercise before your meal to burn fat – but exercise after your meal to torch calories. There are lots of different ways to exercise, but if you want to burn fat, you need to exercise at a moderate intensity on the big-eating day and kick it up a notch the following day to torch calories. I say to exercise moderately, as you want to prepare your body to burn fat – not store it by exercising too intensely!